Call for New Economy Climate Reporting Fellows
April 2018 - March 2019
Goal of the Fellowship
The New Economy Coalition and the Media Consortium seek to lift up regional, local, and national climate solutions and connect those solutions to the need and possibility for systemic change. This fellowship will serve to educate reporters in cross-sector solutions-based climate reporting and to produce solutions-based stories on climate change that will empower individuals to believe that they can make a personal difference in fighting climate change. This project is generously supported by a grant from the Park Foundation.
The New Economy Coalition and the Media Consortium, in partnership with the Solutions Journalism Network, have come together to offer a New Economy Climate Reporting Fellowship to 10 fellows.
All fellows will receive travel grants to attend Commonbound, the biennial conference of the New Economy Coalition in St. Louis, June 22 - 24. On June 22, fellows will meet each other and receive a full-day of training on how to report from a solutions-perspective from experts with the Solutions Journalism Network. Over the course of the year, fellows will attend monthly video briefings led by climate leaders, each focused on local communities applying practical but transformative solutions to various aspects of climate change. Fellows will also receive a $1,000 stipend.
Fellows participating in the fellowship will be expected to
- attend Commonbound in St. Louis June 22-24 (travel will be covered by the fellowship)
- attend 75% of the monthly video briefings
- produce 3 - 6 stories over the course of the fellowship year featuring reporting on climate change with a solutions-lens.
The number of stories and length will be determined in negotiation with the Media Consortium when the fellow is awarded a fellowship.
Who Should Apply?
We seek journalists from a variety of backgrounds for this fellowship:
1) Climate beat journalists who would like to learn more about grassroots, community-driven solutions to the climate crisis;
2) Journalists who cover a general news beat who would like to learn how to locate climate change stories within their regular coverage;
3) Journalists who cover regional as well as national news;
4) Both freelancers and staff reporters are invited to apply.
5) We welcome journalists at every level of experience.
How Do I Apply?
Please fill out this application form:
Please contact Jo Ellen Green Kaiser, Executive Director of The Media Consortium, with any questions.
Best method is email: joellen [at] themediaconsortium [dot] org